Dwayne B.
Dwayne B., Attorney
Experience:  Began practicing law in 1992
11068102

I was convicted of unlawfully carrying a weapon in Texas in

I was convicted of unlawfully carrying a weapon in Texas in October of 1996. This was for carrying a gun in my car. Served 2 years probation that ended in November of 1998. I was originally arrested in March of 1995 before the carry license went into effect. I am now in Georgia and want to apply for a carry permit but not sure how to answer question 7 on the application. It says:

"Have you ever been convicted of, or pled guilty or nolo contendere to, pointing a gun or pistol at another
person, carrying a weapon without a weapons carry license, or carrying a weapon or long gun in an
unauthorized location?"

The part that I am focusing on is the line that says CARRYING WITHOUT A WEAPONS CARRY LICENSE. In Texas at the time there were no carry license and I am not sure if the law in Texas at the time of UNLAWFULLY CARRYING A WEAPON is the same as the Georgia law of CARRYING A WEAPON WITHOUT A WEAPONS CARRY LICENSE. Do I need to answer yes or no on this question?

JD 1992 :

Hello, and thank you for contacting Just Answer. I am an expert here and and I look forward to assisting you today.

JD 1992 :

The law back then was worded differently but you would have to answer "yes: to the question.

JD 1992 :

Is there a place on there that allows you to provide an explanation.

Customer:

No. It asks if this was in the last 5 years and the answer is no. It's been about 15 years ago. It wants me to provide a document that states when the probation was completed. Of course since it's been so long I don't have it. Was hoping that since what I was convicted of is now LEGAL in Texas and the line on the Georgia form looked different than the law I broke I could mark no.

JD 1992 :

You can get a copy of the judgment showing the length of probation from the County Clerk where you were convicted.

JD 1992 :

If you were caught with the gun in a car back in 1995 then you violated the section that states "carrying a weapon or a long gun in an unauthorized location".\

JD 1992 :

I haven't looked at the GA statute in a long time but I thought it used to be sworn and therefore if you answer "no" it is a crime so you want to err on the side of caution.

Customer:

o k.

JD 1992 :

Anything else I can assist with?

JD 1992 :

Please ask any follow up questions in this thread. When all of your questions have been answered, then I would ask that you give a Positive Rating (of course I'd suggest Excellent) since that is the only way I get credit for my work and also please consider clicking "BONUS" as a nice way of saying "thanks" for a job well done, although this is neither required nor expected. When looking at the answer I ask you to bear in mind I can’t control what the law is and whether it helps you, I can only tell you what it says, and I assume you want truthful information.

However, please do not issue a rating of any kind until all of your questions have been answered and please use the Reply button to ask additional questions or to provide answers to my questions.