How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask LegalKnowledge Your Own Question
LegalKnowledge, Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 27189
Experience:  10+ years handling Legal, Real Estate, Criminal Law, Family Law, Traffic matters.
Type Your Legal Question Here...
LegalKnowledge is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

california code1951.3 Am I required to pay legal expenses

This answer was rated:

california code1951.3 Am I required to pay legal expenses incurred
Hi! I will be the professional that will be helping you today. I look forward to providing you with information to help solve your problem.

Good morning. Did you receive a letter from your landlord about this? Has the eviction process started yet? What legal expenses is the landlord claiming you owe?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

received notice of belief of abandonment and am being asked to pay legal expenses in addition to storage and moving

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

did not receive answer if I have to pay legal fees also

Thank you for the additional information. If you broke the lease early, you could be liable to the landlord for damages. He could go after you for the costs in removing the items left and storage ( even though I am unsure why he would store your items instead of just disposing of them). If he did retain legal counsel in this matter, he could certainly ask that you pay the legal fees but are not obligated at this time, unless ordered by the court. If he were to sue you to recover money owed, the Judge would likely allow him the fees and costs which he incurred. If he is asking for legal fees, you may want to ask him for a break down of what these fees are. The reason I say that, is because if you only received a letter from him, as stated above, I am unsure as to what the attorney did or charged him for and the amount. As you see in the code/statute, the language which must be included in the notice is stated within. It does not take very long to write it. You can always make a counter offer as well, advising that to avoid going to court, you will give him a lump sum payment of "X" dollars to resolve this.

Please let me know if you have any follow up questions or need any clarification on something which I stated above, prior to rating me. Also, please remember to rate my service with 3, 4, or 5 faces/stars, before exiting the site, so I can receive credit for my help. I hope you found it to be Excellent! Only rate my answer when you are 100% satisfied. If you feel the need to click either of the two faces/stars on the left, please STOP and reply to me via the "REPLY TO EXPERT or CONTINUE CONVERSATION "button. I want to make sure your experience with the site was as pleasurable as possible and that you are satisfied with the help I provided.
LegalKnowledge and 7 other Legal Specialists are ready to help you
Hi. I see that you requested a refund and was hoping you could share with me what was wrong. You rated my help as excellent, so am curious if there is anything else I can do to help.