How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask TexLaw Your Own Question
TexLaw, Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 4430
Experience:  Lead trial/International commercial attorney licensed 11 yrs
Type Your Legal Question Here...
TexLaw is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

In 2012 I moved from the east coast to the west coast but left

This answer was rated:

In 2012 I moved from the east coast to the west coast but left my furniture behind and rented out my home. This year, I decided to sell my home and would like to donate any furniture that isn't sold at auction.

My furniture was bought in 2006 and I paid $25,000.0, but I don't have the receipts from Universal Furniture. I bought 3 bedroom sets, living room set, as well as, kitchen and dining room sets to furnish the home after a divorce, the sets are still in excellent condition and I have pictures of each piece.

My questions;
1.Can I take the deduction?
2. Is their depreciation on the furniture and if yes, how do you figure it ou?
3. Is their a limit on how much is allowed per year for charity?


Are you donating the furniture to a charitable organization?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

The salvation army, I believe that they are and I have been given receipts in the past with every donation.


Yes, you may take the deduction. The limit on the charitable deduction is 30% of your adjusted gross income.

If the donation is worth more than $5,000, you must have a written appraisal of the donations fair market value. The Salvation Army will provide you with a receipt which gives you a valuation which can provide the basis for your deduction. The valuation receipt is standardized however and is stated at:

If you believe the furniture you are donating has a higher fair market value which you wish to deduct, you need to hire an appraiser to conduct a valuation of it so you can use this as the basis for your deduction.

Please let me know if you have any further questions. Please also kindly consider rating my answer positively so that I am compensated by the website for my work on your question. Rating positively does not cause an additional charge and does not prevent us from further discussing your questions.

Best Regards,
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

You said if the donation is worth more than $5,000.00, is that per item or for all combined furniture donated to them that day? Also, the salvation army has given me receipts in past for stuff that I donated but it is just a receipt of what I wrote that I wanted to donate and the amount I paid for it and felt it was worth. It sounds like I should hire an appraiser, what specialty and how do I find one?

It should be the combined value of the donation which triggers the appraisal requirement.

Finding an appraiser should not be hard. The easiest way is to simply google the name of your town and "appraiser" and then call around some until you find one who can do a furniture appraisal.
TexLaw and 10 other Legal Specialists are ready to help you