How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ellen Your Own Question
Ellen, Lawyer, Consultant
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 36714
Experience:  25 years of experience helping people like you.
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Ellen is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Is it a invasion of privacy if a friend of mine is being sued,

This answer was rated:

Is it a invasion of privacy if a friend of mine is being sued, and the party that is suing wants copies of my telephone and credit card records?
*This chat is not intended as legal advice. It is general information that may or may not apply to your situation and should not be relied upon.*


I am a New York licensed attorney. I will do whatever I can to answer your questions!

In order for me to provide you with the most accurate information, please tell me:
1. What type of lawsuit is your friend involved in?
2. What legal action has the party taken to obtain copies of your telephone and credit card records?
3. How are you related to this case?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Divorce. They are claiming that we were more than just friends.

Yes – typically it would be an invasion of your privacy.

Since you are not a party to the divorce, you are not required to turn over any information absent a court order.

If the spouse attempts to use the court to compel discovery of your telephone and credit card receipts, the typical procedure would be to petition the court for a protective order on the basis of the overreaching and personal information requested.

I would be glad to respond to any related follow-up questions that you may have.
Ellen and 6 other Legal Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

What if I am named in the complaint but not party of the suit?

If you have been joined as a 3rd party to the action, typically you would take the same action I have described and petition the court for a protective order. The basis of your petition would be that is overbearing and overreaching to allow discovery of all of your records. Sometimes the court respond by appointing a 3rd party to review the records to determine if any of the records have a bearing on the divorce and only those records would be released to the requesting spouse
I see that you rated my service as "OK" - although I appreciate the positive rating, is there something else that you wanted to know? It's my aim to provide excellent service.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

no thank you

Thank you for responding. Have a wonderful day
Thank you for having allowed me to provide you with information.

I want to be your "go to" person. I value your business and will do my utmost to assist you with your future needs. If I cannot answer your question, I can direct you to someone else who can.

Begin your future questions with "For FiveStarLaw" to assure that I receive your question

Now I have a favor to ask of you.

The site will be sending you a survey. Your answer to one of the questions on of the survey is very important to me.

Question #3 of the survey will ask you: "How likely is it that you would recommend your Expert or Professional to a friend?"

Please answer "10" on this question #3. If for any reason you cannot answer "10" in response to question number 3, please tell me how I may further assist you.

Best regards,