How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask John Your Own Question
John, Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 5568
Experience:  Licensed and practicing attorney.
Type Your Legal Question Here...
John is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Ive been disputing false info on my credit files with the

Customer Question

I've been disputing false info on my credit files with the 3 major bureaus. I've sent out my disputes certified mail to each and none of them responded within the 30 day limit. After I sent my second certified mail letters to all 3 I started getting "frivolous" letters. SInce none of them responded within the timeframe allowed by law, how to I make them comply?
Submitted: 4 years ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  John replied 4 years ago.

EmplmntLaw1 :

Hi, thanks for submitting your question today.

There are two general ways to go about getting recourse for this. One is to file an administrative complaint with either the Minn. Attorney General office or the Federal Trade Commission. Here are the links for those two agencies to file a complaint.


The other option is to file a lawsuit in federal court under the Fair Credit Reporting Act. You will need to show that you demanded the incorrect information be removed and the agency failed to remove it within 30 days. You will also need to be able to prove specific damages in relation to not qualifying for credit, e.g., higher interest, not qualifying for a loan.

EmplmntLaw1 :

Let me know if you have follow up questions or concerns. I'm happy to answer.

JACUSTOMER-0zshsetz- :

Isn't this a civil court matter?

JACUSTOMER-0zshsetz- :

Can I sue them civilly? I really just want them to dump out the files. I've got signatures for the certified mail I sent them and their responses were really late and came standard mail. Isn't this procedural error? As in, can't I pay the filing fees to make them appear and then they will show up and agree to dump the files if I drop it?

JACUSTOMER-0zshsetz- :

I can't even get a Target credit card, it's frustrating and I'm trying to prequalify for a first home.

EmplmntLaw1 :

I'm going to switch this chat to Q& A mode because I'm experiencing problems with the chat feature

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

SO, what's the verdict?

Expert:  John replied 4 years ago.
Yes you could file a civil lawsuit for the matter; you appear to have suffered financial damages. The FCRA allows for attorney fees so I would expect that an attorney would be willing to take your case if you wish.
Expert:  John replied 4 years ago.
You left a negative rating, which I assume means you are not happy with the accuracy, expediency or clarity of my answer. I have double-checked my response for accuracy and I posted the answer in a reasonable time after your question. Thus, I am assuming the answer is not clear to you. If you have follow-up questions regarding the matter, I am happy to answer to enhance your understanding. Let me know if may further assist you. JA