How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask LegalKnowledge Your Own Question
LegalKnowledge, Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 27222
Experience:  10+ years handling Legal, Real Estate, Criminal Law, Family Law, Traffic matters.
Type Your Legal Question Here...
LegalKnowledge is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I just received notice that I did not pay a traffic ticket

Customer Question

I just received notice that I did not pay a traffic ticket 16 years ago in Texas. Something I don't even remember. Am I still legally responsible for this ticket?
Submitted: 4 years ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  LegalKnowledge replied 4 years ago.
Hi! I will be the professional that will be helping you today. I look forward to providing you with information to help solve your problem.

Good afternoon. I certainly understand the situation and your concern for something that happened over 16 year ago. Would you mind sharing with me what the citation was issued for? As a result of not taking care of it, was your license ever suspended? You also stated above that you will show up in court tomorrow. Is the matter before a Judge?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
The ticket was for failure to use turn signal when changing lanes. They also said I chose to make payments on the fine which I would have never done because I wouldn't need to. They told me the fine would be a total of $320.00 so I told them I would go to court which is only available in Montgomery County, Texas tomorrow. I don't even remember getting a ticket and I was never notified until now that it wasn't paid.
Expert:  LegalKnowledge replied 4 years ago.
Robert, thank you for the additional information. If the ticket was issued, signed and received by you and you elected to pay it instead of fight it, then you would still be responsible for it. If a fine for a moving violation expired after a certain amount of years, no driver would ever pay them and the city/county would lose out on an excessive amount of revenue. If you are appearing tomorrow, you should see if the Judge would allow you to set the matter for hearing. You could try and take the matter to trial and I have a strong feeling if that happened, you would win, as a result of the officer not appearing or not remembering the incident. However, the Judge is going to rely on the record and what is in the court system, so you are going to need some evidence to support your position. Try and obtain a copy of the citation, to make sure the information on it was correct at the time it was issued and you signed for the ticket, acknowledging it was received. While I believe what you are saying, the Judge is going to want to see evidence and be provided with a basis to resolve this, favorable to you. If the cost of the ticket is more now as a result of interest and other fees being added on, you could always see if the Judge would reduce or waive them and just let you pay the initial fine, based upon the history. When you appear, try to go before the Judge, if you are not on the docket, so your case can be heard. Explain the situation and see what the court is willing to do, to resolve this.

Please let me know if you have any follow up questions or need any clarification on something which I stated above, prior to rating me. Also, please remember to rate my service with 3, 4, or 5 faces/stars, before exiting the site, so I can receive credit for my help. I hope you found it to be Excellent! Only rate my answer when you are 100% satisfied. If you feel the need to click either of the two faces/stars on the left, please STOP and reply to me via the "REPLY TO EXPERT or CONTINUE CONVERSATION "button. I want to make sure your experience with the site was as pleasurable as possible and that you are satisfied with the help I provided.
Expert:  LegalKnowledge replied 4 years ago.
Hi Robert. I just wanted to follow up and see if you had any other questions or needed me to clarify something. I am here to help, so please let me know. Thanks!

Related Legal Questions