How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask David C. Garner Your Own Question
David C. Garner
David C. Garner, Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 1036
Experience:  JD with Distinction, Admitted to practice in California
Type Your Legal Question Here...
David C. Garner is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

i was homeschooled and given a homeschool diploma my mother

Customer Question

i was homeschooled and given a homeschool diploma my mother was registered with the indiana board of education i just retired out of the military and found out its a worthless piece of paper can i sue the dept of education for letting this happen to me
Submitted: 4 years ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  TexLaw replied 4 years ago.

Thank you for your question.

Homeschooled children will not receive a diploma from the local public school or from the state. The IDOE suggests you use an accredited correspondence program which grants a diploma upon completion.

Students who are issued a diploma by the administrator (parent or legal guardian) of an Indiana homeschool possess a legally issued, non-accredited diploma according to the State of Indiana. Homeschools, like all other non-accredited, nonpublic schools, may legally issue a diploma to students that complete the graduation requirements of that school, as established by that school.

Thus, while this is allowed under State law, the State does not regulate or require that anyone acknowledge the diplomma. It does however provide that you can have the home school diploma accredited by third parties:

High School Only:
Indiana University (Accredited diploma**) (800) 334-1011
American School (Accredited diploma**) (800) 531-9268
Univ. of Nebraska (Accredited diploma**) (888) 482-5598
Allied National High School (Accredited diploma*) (800) 968-4034

That being said, your question was whether you could sue the State for allowing you to be homeschooled which you feel is worthless given that no one will recognize the diploma.

The short answer is no. The State has "sovereign immunity" from being sued and may only be sued where there is a violation of the constitution or the state has provided a statute which say it may be sued.

Here, has a public education program in which you were eligible to participate. Your parents decided to homeschool you instead. Thus, there was no violation of the State's duty to provide you with a public education, as this was always an option.

Please let me know if you have any further questions. Please also kindly consider rating my answer positively so that I am compensated by the website for my work on your question. Rating positively does not cause an additional charge and does not prevent us from further discussing your questions.

Best Regards,
Expert:  TexLaw replied 4 years ago.
Do you have any questions or would you like to talk about this subject further?
Expert:  David C. Garner replied 4 years ago.


I saw a previous expert opted out. Can I help you with anything further?


Related Legal Questions