How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask LegalKnowledge Your Own Question
LegalKnowledge, Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 28072
Experience:  10+ years handling Legal, Real Estate, Criminal Law, Family Law, Traffic matters.
Type Your Legal Question Here...
LegalKnowledge is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

consumer affairs did a sting to catch contractors with out

Customer Question

consumer affairs did a sting to catch contractors with out license.
they call me as a costumer and ask for estimate, i go over there and was arrested by the police my van was seizure and i got 2 violation.
1 working with out home improvident license.
2. say that i have license but i don't.

i need a lawyer.. what i need to expect?
Submitted: 4 years ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  LegalKnowledge replied 4 years ago.
Hi! I will be the professional that will be helping you today. I look forward to providing you with information to help solve your problem.

Good afternoon. I certainly understand the situation and concern. A contractor or salesperson who lies is subject to fines of up to $500 for each separate misrepresentation. In addition, a contract entered into after misrepresentations are made may be declared null and void, and a contractor may be ordered to pay restitution to the homeowner. In addition, any person who owns or operates a home improvement business without a license or after a license is suspended/revoked is guilty of a misdemeanor and may be prosecuted criminally and
subject to up to six (6) months imprisonment and/or $1,000 in fines. Each violation is a separate offense. In addition, such a person may be prosecuted civilly and faces fines of up to $100 per day for engaging in unlicensed activity or aiding and abetting the operation of an unlicensed person or business. Finally, DCA can padlock (close down) and confiscate the tools and truck. If you are a first time offender, there should be no reason that any jail time is sought. However, it is possible that probation may be imposed but that is at the discretion of the State. It is always good to have an attorney representing you, so they can look over the facts of the case and see if you have any legal defenses to raise or if the case is worth going to trial on. If not, they can work out a plea deal on your behalf, that is in your best interest.

Please let me know if you have any follow up questions or need any clarification on something which I stated above, prior to rating me. Also, please remember to rate my service with 3, 4, or 5 faces/stars, before exiting the site, so I can receive credit for my help. I hope you found it to be Excellent! Only rate my answer when you are 100% satisfied. If you feel the need to click either of the two faces/stars on the left, please STOP and reply to me via the "REPLY TO EXPERT or CONTINUE CONVERSATION "button. I want to make sure your experience with the site was as pleasurable as possible and that you are satisfied with the help I provided.
Expert:  LegalKnowledge replied 4 years ago.
Hi Mike. I just wanted to follow up and see if you had any other questions or needed me to clarify something. I am here to help, so please let me know. Thanks!