How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask TexLaw Your Own Question
TexLaw, Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 4430
Experience:  Lead trial/International commercial attorney licensed 11 yrs
Type Your Legal Question Here...
TexLaw is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

i had a workers comp claim settled in 2004 they took an 20,000

This answer was rated:

i had a workers comp claim settled in 2004 they took an 20,000 dollar with holding for future medical bills due to my comp injuries . am i able to just get that annuity closed and get that money due me instead of a once a year payment i have not had any work done on that injury at all i could really use the money thank you verry much Don Lowrey
Hi Mr. Lowrey,

The annuity payment is permanent and there is no way to go back and reformulate it. The annuity company cannot and will not change the agreement it has and pay you differently.

There are companies out there which will purchase your annuity from you in exchange for a lump sum. However, the lump sum will be less than what you would be paid out in your annuity, sometimes significantly less. An example of such a company is:

I am not endorsing the above cited company, and am only providing it for sake of an example.

Please let me know if you have any further questions. Please also kindly consider rating my answer positively so that I am compensated by the website for my work on your question. Rating positively does not cause an additional charge and does not prevent us from further discussing your questions.

Best Regards,
TexLaw and 7 other Legal Specialists are ready to help you