How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Andrea, Esq. Your Own Question
Andrea, Esq.
Andrea, Esq., Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 12554
Experience:  25 yrs. experience in family law, estates, real estate, business law, criminal defense, immigration, and employment law.
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Andrea, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Lived in New York State in Brooklyn 2005, Moved to Manhattan

This answer was rated:

Lived in New York State in Brooklyn 2005, Moved to Manhattan 2006. New York State supposedly sent me a bill for $1500 in 2007 at my Brooklyn Address. Never received the bill so I didn't know to pay it. I moved to California in 2008, in 2011 NYS put a Levy on my Bank Account .. and I was like "Where did this come from?". I track it down and get on the phone with New York State with my accountant and resolve it. They give me a discount and drop it to $1000.00. Three months later New York State refunds the money ... Who knows why??? Then they send me a bill now in 2013 for $2500 ...with obvious penalties attached to the original $1000.00. These guys don't seem to have their act together and I am paying the price. I need this to go away .. its screwing up my credit.

Hello, Peter, and Welcome to JustAnswer, My name is XXXXX XXXXX my goal is to provide you with Excellent Service



1. What was the tax for ?


2. Which department sent you the tax bill, Department of Revenue, etc. ?


3. Did you pay the $1,000 ? If so, do you have the cancelled check ?


Thank you,

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

1. Income Tax


Reference #002463811

Reference #2298569
CourtCounty Clerk
Asset Amount

3. My statements show the collection of $1000 and then the refund that I didn't ask for 3 months later




I agree with you, Peter, that they definitely do not have their act together and also, one hand does npt know what the other hand is doing.


This may sound like a silly question, but I have to ask it, anyway.


When the State reduced the tax liability to $1,000, did they send you written notice of this reduction ? No need to answer because here is what you have to do in order to get this thing resolved. Nothing ever gets resolved if you deal with the clerks because they do not really comprehend what they are doing, they do not know what to do, and even if they did know, they do not have any authority to resolve any problems. They would take the problem to their superiors. Therefore, I always bypass the clerks and as many levels above them as possible. I go straight to the top. You would be surprised how much you can accomplish by sending your letter direclty to the "chief" and sending it FedEx. You bypass all the little indians. Now, the chief is not going to resolve the problem, but (a) He will know about your problem; and (b) he will most likely give it to someone on his staff to resolve and get in touch with you.


Therefore, write a letter, describing briefly and concisely (If at all possible, no more than one page, they have a short attention span) describe what happened, that you never received this bill because, despite your leaving a forwarding address with the post office, you never received notice, that the amount was reduced, that you paid it, they refunded the money, and lastly that you are back at square one through no fault of your own. This letter should be addressed to:


Thomas H. Mattox, Commissioner

Taxation and Finance

New York State Department of Taxation and Finance

W.A. Harriman Campus
Bldg 9,
Albany, NY 12227


Enclose copies of your cancelled check and any other proof of payment you have and any other information you want them to know, and I guarantee that the problem will be resolved once and for all,



Please be kind enough to rate my service to you as "Excellent Service",


Bonus and Positive Feedback are greatly appreciated,


Thank you for allowing me the opportunity to assist you,






I hate to say this, but it is true that it is very difficult to resolve anything by dealing with the various clerks. It is very difficult to get anything permanently resolved

Andrea, Esq. and 3 other Legal Specialists are ready to help you