How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask socrateaser Your Own Question
socrateaser, Lawyer
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 39145
Experience:  Retired (mostly)
Type Your Legal Question Here...
socrateaser is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I need to make a decision whether or not to try to settle my

This answer was rated:

I need to make a decision whether or not to try to settle my tax debt with the state and IRS.

I been seeing tax lawyers who advertise they can get you taxes settle for less.

I don't know much about them so I would like to get some information on they to see if I would want to do this or not.

I have been settling my debt I had after losing around $15,000 less a year in income due to the economy downturn.

I am looking to get my best deal for anyone that's in my position that's available.

What is your question exactly?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I'm wanting to get more information about law offices advertising they can settle your taxes for less than you owe.


Do you know anything about them?


In my experience, the only reason to use one of these services is if the IRS Offer in Compromise (OIC) forms are too overwhelmingly difficult for you to prepare yourself.

Up until a very few years ago, the OIC process was extremely complicated. However, the IRS has made the forms much simpler to use, and it's now pretty much just a "fill-in-the-blanks" process that will tell you at the end exactly how much the IRS is willing to compromise/reduce your taxes.

Here is the Form with instructions (656B).

You may want to sit down and try to fill it out yourself, and save yourself a few thousand dollars. If the result doesn't satisfy you, then I would strongly suggest that you contact a tax attorney (not a service -- a bona fide tax lawyer). For a referral, see this link.
socrateaser and other Legal Specialists are ready to help you