Roger, Attorney
Experience:  BV Rated by Martindale-Hubbell; SuperLawyer rating by Thompson-Reuters
6704987

I hired a lawyer to represent me in a construction defects/real

Customer Question

I hired a lawyer to represent me in a construction defects/real estate case in May 2009. The attorney would not provide invoices/receipts after multiple payments (over $10,000.00) to replenish retainer at laywers request. I was informed to file a complaint with Georgia Bar CAP which I did on April 1, 2013 and with the CLC legal referral agency that referred me to the attorney. The attorney now states I owe more than $36,000.00. I do not understand because the agreement states I must replenish retainer when balance drops below $1,000.00. The last request to replenish retainer (January 2012) was not done because the attorney had not forwarded any invoices (receiived 1st invoice on 4/30/13) , the final investigation report, and would not answer my questions about the status of my case. Please advise.
Expert:  Roger replied 4 years ago.
Hi - my name is Kirk and I'm a litigation attorney. Thanks for your question.

You should ask the bar to require the attorney to provide a detailed accounting of the charges so you can analyze the time billed to see if you have an issue with the work claimed, actions performed, etc. You're entitled to a detailed accounting and the bar should order the attorney to provide this.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I received the invoice with billing hours however, I do not know how the attorney came up with the hours and the an outstanding balance.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I have not been able to attached the file and send to you...please advise.

Expert:  Roger replied 4 years ago.
The invoices should be detailed, and by that I mean it should have the date of the work done, a description of the work performed, the amount of time spent on the task and the charge for the task. If it isn't that detailed, then you should demand an accounting that is this specific.

Also, you can ask the attorney to prove or produce the documents claimed to produce; if you've been charged for phone calls or emails, ask for those records, etc.

If the attorney can prove that he did all of the work claimed, you may be stuck paying it, but it is likely that the attorney has overcharged you for some of the work; and you can also claim that some of the charges are unreasonable for the product/work performed.