How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Law Educator, Esq. Your Own Question
Law Educator, Esq.
Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 118275
Experience:  JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Law Educator, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am very disfunctional due to severe social anxiety disorder,

This answer was rated:

I am very disfunctional due to severe social anxiety disorder, and depression, that has been going on for 12 years. I have medical proof of this. I am being kicked out of my home in a month, and have not been able to find a job or any way to support myself.

I am in my junior year of college, but the FAFSA program doesn't seem accept me as independant even though my family will have absolutely nothing to do with me. I am not sure how to get them to recognize me as independent so I can qualify for support.

Is there any way to get welfare or enough support to get through college on the basis of mental disability? Or just welfare to survive period?

I have tried to find answers, but it seems the only way I would qualify for help, is if I got pregnant, or chopped a leg off, and its getting rather desperate.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking.

I am sorry to hear you are experiencing these difficulties. There are aid programs available to those who have mental health disabilities and you are also eligible to collect welfare and even obtain public housing assistance while you are a student.

The limitations on the programs for your disabilities is when it comes to school assistance, those programs are not readily available to those with mental health disorders I am afraid. Until you are 24 FAFSA absolutely refuses to consider a student independent from their parents and even if you submit an affidavit claiming you are fully emancipated FAFSA refuses to accept that and will not agree to exclude your parental income. I am afraid that legally there is nothing else to do to get them to recognize you as independent because those are the rules the federal government has set forth.

Thus, for student aid, you are going to have a hard time, but you should be able to qualify for the welfare and food stamp benefits because they do not consider your parental income for those programs.

Thank you so much for using I truly aim to please you as a customer, but please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered. PLEASE use REPLY to EXPERT if you would like more information or if you feel something was not included in your answer.

Kindly remember the ONLY WAY experts receive any credit at all for spending time with customers is if you click on OK, GOOD or EXCELLENT SERVICE even though you have made a deposit or are a subscription customer. YOU MUST COMPLETE THE RATING FOR THE EXPERT TO XXXXX CREDIT, if not the site keeps your money on deposit.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.


There can also be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be taking a break.

You can always request me through my profile at or beginning your question with “For PaulMJD…”

Law Educator, Esq. and 12 other Legal Specialists are ready to help you