Richard, Attorney
Experience:  Attorney with 29 years of experience.
17027240

MY FATHER WAS IN A SORT OF ASSISTED LIVING/NURSING HOME WHERE

Customer Question

MY FATHER WAS IN A SORT OF ASSISTED LIVING/NURSING HOME WHERE HE PAID A "SPEND DOWN" OF $1,035 PER MONTH AND THE COUNTY MEDICAL ASSISTANCE PAID THE REST. HE PASSED ON FEB. 7 AND NOW I AM GETTING BILLS FOR THE FULL AMOUNT OF $1035 FOR THAT MONTH. MEDICAL ASSISTANCE SAYS THEY HAVE NO FURTHER OBLIGATION TO PAY ANYTHING. I HAD MEDICAL POWER OF ATTORNEY OVER MY FATHER BUT NOT AN ALL-OUT EVERYTHING POWER OF ATTORNEY. HE LEFT NO LIFE INSURANCE. AM I LEGALLY RESPONSIBLE FOR THE FULL BILL OF $1035 FOR THE MONTH OF FEBRUARY WHEN 1) HE WAS ONLY THERE FOR 7 DAYS, AND 2) I'M NOT POWER OF ATTORNEY FOR HIS BILLS. A CREDIT CARD BILL WAS WRITTEN OFF WITH A COPY OF THE DEATH CERTIFICATE. IS THIS BILL DIFFERENT IS SOME WAY?
THANK YOU.
JEAN ESLER
Expert:  Richard replied 4 years ago.
Welcome! My goal is to do my very best to understand your situation and to provide a full and complete answer for you.

Good afternoon. You have no legal obligation to pay your father's bill. A POA simply gave you the authority to act on your father's behalf; it did not obligate you for his bills. So, if his estate does not have adequate assets to pay the bill, the creditor must write it off; the creditor can not pursue you as the POA, the executor of his estate, or any heirs of his estate. They can look only to any probate assets of the decedent.

Thank you so much for allowing me to help you with your questions. I have done my best to provide information which will be helpful to you. If I have not fully addressed your questions or if you have any follow up questions, or if I have misinterpreted your questions in any way, please do not rate me yet, but simply ask a follow up question without rating so I can provide you with a fully satisfactory answer. If I have fully answered your question(s) to your satisfaction, I would appreciate you rating my service with 3, 4, or 5 faces/stars so I can receive credit for helping you today. I thank you in advance for taking the time to provide me a positive rating!