Ask a Lawyer and Get Answers to Your Legal Questions

I am a realtor that just sold a house and the seller is a FBI

agent. due to financing we...
I am a realtor that just sold a house and the seller is a FBI agent. due to financing we closed 2 weeks late. During the weeks that prolonged the settlement he continued to call and threaten lawsuits and deflamation of character. The lender just needed more time and then i get this email this morning.

Delaware is an extremely small state. It's basically like a fishbowl where everybody knows everybody. I'm extremely positive the majority of your business is word of mouth. Believe me I will definitely be apprising as many people as I can of your unethical business and real estate and practices. I will also be contacting the state real estate commission and better business bureau and filing a complaint.

What should I do I have a clean record
5/4/2013
Barrister, Attorney
Hello and thank you for using JA! My goal is to provide you with excellent service and help with your legal problem.
.
It sounds like you have an extremely unpleasant person as the seller. But if the closing was delayed due to financial reasons and not anything you did, then you could reply to him by stating that these are the reasons that the closing was delayed and were entirely beyond your control. If he should he make any negative untrue statements about you to third parties, you will file suit against him for slander and defamation. If he tries to use his position for purposes of disparaging your reputation, you will also file a formal complaint against him for official misconduct both with the Attorney General as well as with his local field office.
.
That, or ignore him. In situations like this, responding could actually pour fuel on the fire and once he finally calms down it is unlikely he would wage some type of personal vendetta against you due to something that was outside your control.
.
As a Realtor myself, I would probably respond and simply state the reasons that the closing was delayed and politely explain how they were out of my control and that I apologize for the delay. I would leave it at that.
.

.

.

Thanks.

.

.

Please remember to rate my service. If you need further help, just reply to me via the “REPLY” button and I will be happy to continue.

.

I cannot enter into an attorney client relationship, this is a public forum, and all posts are available for public viewing. There is no duty of confidentiality that attaches to any posts. The information provided is not a substitute for a local attorney’s legal advice.

Barrister, Attorney
Barrister, Attorney