TexLaw
TexLaw, Attorney
Experience:  Lead trial/International commercial attorney licensed 11 yrs
17219180

I am done with all of my course work and have been in the thesis

I am done with all of my course work and have been in the thesis process with my university, but the red tape of signatures and coordinating schedules among committee members has stalled my ability to receive the degree. My husband has a similar issue with another college within the university. The lack of the degrees have kept us from promotions and earning higher pay. Do we have recourse?

Thank you for your question. I've faced a similar challenge in obtaining a post-doctoral law degree from a University.

Unfortunately, the law provides that the University is free to take a reasonable amount of time to grade your work. In academic terms, this can mean it can be a while (there is no set time, as each case is judged by its circumstances).

If you believe that there are no circumstances which justify the delay, then you could sue for an injunction against the University ordering it to issue your grades. However, the law does not provide you with damages as to the delays you have experienced because the University has not yet issued the grades and granted you graduation.

Please let me know if you have any further questions. Please also kindly consider rating my answer positively so that I am compensated by the website for my work on your question. Rating positively does not cause an additional charge and does not prevent us from further discussing your questions.

Best Regards,
ZDN
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Would legal counsel, the presence, encourage them to grant the signatures needed?

A letter from your legal counsel on a law firm's letterhead to the administration demanding immediate action would likely cause movement on the matter.