Ask a Lawyer and Get Answers to Your Legal Questions

Is it legal for me to buy a property in the US (I am a foreign

investor) only ofr investment (I...
Is it legal for me to buy a property in the US (I am a foreign investor) only ofr investment (I will not occupy it at any point) and do my own home improvements in it (cosmetics only) or do I have to employ someone that can work in the US. Please state the exact law if there is one that prohibits me from doing my own work. (I will mostly resale properties in Florida, specifically Pinellas county).
5/2/2013
TexLaw
TexLaw, Attorney

Thank you for your question.

It is perfectly legal for a foreign investor to own property in the United States under the Foreign Investment in Real Property Act. The law also allows you to perform your own construction work on your property.

Your plan is legal.

Please let me know if you have any further questions. Please also kindly consider rating my answer positively so that I am compensated by the website for my work on your question. Rating positively does not cause an additional charge and does not prevent us from further discussing your questions.

Best Regards,
ZDN

It's weird because I am getting different answers, does this apply if I never actually live in it. Since I am flipping the properties, I have been told by someone that I cant do my own work there since it is considered a business.

Would that apply? I'm just double checking since I'm hearing different opinions.

Unless you are rendering services for remuneration from a US entity, you are not required to obtain a visa.

Thus, coming in and doing work on your own property while on a tourist visa does not violate the terms of that visa because you are not "working" for "remuneration" (i.e., you are not being paid for the work). You are simply improving your investment, which may or may not result in a profit to you down the road when you sale the property.

Now, your investment may actually serve as a basis for a visa should you actually desire to have one.
TexLaw
TexLaw, Attorney
Thank you for the rating and the bonus!

Please let me know if you need anything else and I wish you success in your endeavor in the United States.

-ZDN
TexLaw
TexLaw, Attorney
TexLaw
TexLaw
TexLaw, Attorney