Ask a Lawyer and Get Answers to Your Legal Questions

Can teachers note that the curriculum is altered or a

Customer Question
student is in a special...
Can teachers note that the curriculum is altered or a student is in a special education program on the general education report card? (The equivalent of an IEP report card is sent home detailing progress.)
Submitted: 4 years ago.Category: Legal
Answered in 1 minute by:
5/2/2013
Lawyer: Ely, Counselor at Law replied 4 years ago
Ely, Counselor at Law
Hello friend. My name is ***** ***** welcome to JustAnswer. Please note: (1) this is general information only, not legal advice, and, (2) there may be a slight delay between your follow ups and my replies.
This depends. Can you please tell me:
1) Are you the teacher or the student?
2) Do you WISH for the notation to be there or not?
3) What are you hoping to achieve here?
This is not an answer, but an Information Request. I need this information to answer your question. Please reply, so I can answer your question. Thank you in advance.

I am the director of our special education program at a Catholic school. I am hoping to clarify in writing to my teachers that any identifying information about a child's special needs should not go on the general education report card. Furthermore, I would like to clarify to them that the child should be graded on his individualized goals.

Thank you.
Since you are a private school, then this is a private program, and not IEP, or a 504 plan, etc, correct?

Yes. But, some of our students are receiving services via ISP services which are provided through proportionate share monies, and some students have 504s. In addition, some of our students transfer to public schools and apply to public high schools. All students in the program have been diagnosed with a disability (no one is allowed into the program just because they are working below average).

(All of our students with ISPs and 504s have been determined eligible for special education services through the local public school. Parents waive the right to an IEP, then we write an ISP.)

Thank you.
In a guidance letter issued by the Office for Civil Rights - U.S. Department of Health and Human Services on October 17, 2008 In Re: Report Cards and Transcripts for Students with Disabilities, 108 LRP 60114 (OCR 2008), the Office for Civil Rights states that:
references to special education services received by a student are acceptable on report cards intended for parent use in measuring student progress, but not acceptable on transcripts as they may be disclosed to employers and post-secondary institutions.
This includes both formal and informal programs.
Opinion: here.
Ergo:
Yes. But, not on formal transcripts sent to third parties.
Gentle Reminder: Please use the REPLY button to keep chatting, or RATE my answer when we are finished. Kindly rate my answer as one of the top three faces and then submit, as this is how I get credit for my time with you. Rating my answer the bottom two faces does not give me credit and reflects poorly on me, even if my answer is correct. I work very hard to formulate an informative and honest answer for you; please reciprocate my good faith. (You may always ask follow ups at no charge after rating.)
Ely, Counselor at Law