Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law
10285032

A person is now age 30. Declared disabled by Social Security

A person is now age 30. Declared disabled by Social Security at the age of 20 years and 11 months. X currently receives SS, Medicaid and Medicare. However, around the age of 14 they automatically became a US citizen when their parents completed all steps to US Citizenship. (child immigrant) What is the immigration law on an immigrant receiving benefits? For some reason, I thought they could not.

Thank you!

Chicago
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking.

The law is not regarding an immigrant, it is that a non-US Citizen (naturalized or otherwise) would not be eligible for SS benefits, although some states make medicaid and welfare assistance available to resident legal aliens. If they are a naturalized US Citizen because of their parent's citizenship, then they are not disqualified from those benefits as long as they meet the other qualifications just like any other US Citizen.

Thank you so much for using JustAnswer.com. I truly aim to please you as a customer, but please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered. PLEASE use REPLY to EXPERT if you would like more information or if you feel something was not included in your answer.

Kindly remember the ONLY WAY experts receive any credit at all for spending time with customers is if you click on OK, GOOD or EXCELLENT SERVICE even though you have made a deposit or are a subscription customer. YOU MUST COMPLETE THE RATING FOR THE EXPERT TO XXXXX CREDIT, if not the site keeps your money on deposit.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

PLEASE NOTE WELL WE ARE DEALING WITH LAWS OF 50 STATES PLUS FEDERAL LAWS, AS WELL AS DEALING WITH OTHER CUSTOMERS, SO PLEASE BE PATIENT AND BE ASSURED YOU ARE NOT BEING IGNORED.

There can also be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be taking a break.

You can always request me through my profile at http://www.justanswer.com/law/expert-paulmjd/ or beginning your question with “For PaulMJD…”