How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask TexLaw Your Own Question
TexLaw, Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 4430
Experience:  Lead trial/International commercial attorney licensed 11 yrs
Type Your Legal Question Here...
TexLaw is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I was involved in a non insurance vehicle accident in 2009

This answer was rated:

I was involved in a non insurance vehicle accident in 2009 I was the one with no insurance and I went to court and paid restitution. The other person involved in the wreck her insurance double dipped and sued me again and have been suspending my license ever since. Even thought we agreed on a monthly amount to pay on the fine. When I was not working I informed the insurance attorney of it. And they still suspended my drivers license. I have proof of what I have paid on the fine and they won't allow me to renew my license until the whole fine is paid. I have done everything to be compliant with the procedures as asked of me. I need help what do I do I can't get a job or a copy of my birth certificate without it please help me. I need it badly

Thank you for your question and I'm very sorry to hear about your situation.

The first thing you need to do is figure out exactly what is going on. I say this because some of the things you are reporting don't make since. The insurance company's attorney cannot cause your driver's license to be suspended, only the government can do that. So you need to contact the court that issued the restitution order and get a copy of the judgment against you.

You also need to contact the district/county attorney's office that prosecuted you and ask them whether or not there is a document that shows you have complied with the restitution order. The only reason that your licenses is being suspended is because there is a record with the court and the DMV which is showing that you have not complied with the restitution order.

Do not contact the insurance company's attorney, as he is not going to help you.

You should also look into contacting a local legal aid lawyer to see if they can provide you with direct assistance. The following website has their contact information:

Please let me know if you have any further questions. Please also kindly consider rating my answer positively so that I am compensated by the website for my work on your question. Rating positively does not cause an additional charge and does not prevent us from further discussing your questions.

Best Regards,
TexLaw and 3 other Legal Specialists are ready to help you