How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Law Educator, Esq. Your Own Question
Law Educator, Esq.
Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 118286
Experience:  JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Law Educator, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I leased a house in Benton County Washington. I had to break

This answer was rated:

I leased a house in Benton County Washington. I had to break my lease as of April 2013. After much negotiation landlord let me out of the lease if I paid rent through May 2013. I have an email from her saying as much. I did everything I could to rent the house out again, but because of the poor maintenance on the house, a pipe broke and flooded the downstairs and she took her own sweet time getting it repaired. Hard to rent a house like that.

I received my deposit back, minus a $650 fee for breaking my lease. Also, she rented out the house midway through April and did not refund the prorated amount of my rent.

I thought I could file in small claims court, but she has moved to Hawaii (with no forwarding address...or at least she says she doesn't get the letters I send). I have moved to Oregon so it's difficult for me to go pick up small claims forms from Benton County Courthouse. And their phone system is set up so I cannot reach a real person to ask questions.

There are also a lot of (perhaps extraneous) details to this situation. She's a piece of work.

Getting my money back isn't my priority (but it would be nice). It's the principle of the thing that she's getting away with this. Is it possible to hire a lawyer on contingency basis for small claims court? Or any other ideas?
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking.

I am afraid that your damages of $650 and whatever the prorated share of the rent would be would not cover any attorney's fees and attorneys generally do not take small claims cases for this reason even when attorneys are allowed in small claims court. Also, as she is now in HI, the only small claims court with personal jurisdiction over her is the court in HI where she is located as small claims is a court of limited jurisdiction and they have no "long arm" jurisdiction.

Thus, you would have to sue her in HI. The other thing you can do to get some satisfaction is if the house is in that bad of shape is call the local health and building code enforcement office and have them go out and inspect and cite her for all of the violations, which will likely cost her more than the money she took from you here.

Thank you so much for using I truly aim to please you as a customer, but please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered. PLEASE use REPLY to EXPERT if you would like more information or if you feel something was not included in your answer.

Kindly remember the ONLY WAY experts receive any credit at all for spending time with customers is if you click on OK, GOOD or EXCELLENT SERVICE even though you have made a deposit or are a subscription customer. YOU MUST COMPLETE THE RATING FOR THE EXPERT TO RECEIVE ANY CREDIT, if not the site keeps your money on deposit.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.


There can also be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be taking a break.

You can always request me through my profile at or beginning your question with “For PaulMJD…”

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
So...if I were doggedly determined enough to see this thru and file in small claims court in Hawaii, would I need to show up in court? (Sounds like a vacation to me). I don't see how I could do it via mail, but I've never dealt with this before.

Great idea about building enforcement! I'll get on it. Thank you for the idea. Anything I can do to make things uncomfortable for her is a positive. If there's anything else I can do please let me know. Thanks!
Thank you for your response.

Yes, you would have to actually show up in court to pursue the case in HI. It cannot be done by mail, but the clerk of the court may let you just file the suit by fax, it is up to the clerk.

Reporting the property to regulatory authorities is the best thing and really with her in HI that is about all you can do other than go to HI and sue her, just to make your point on top of reporting her to the authorities.
Law Educator, Esq. and 3 other Legal Specialists are ready to help you