How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Allen M., Esq. Your Own Question
Allen M., Esq.
Allen M., Esq., Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 19222
Experience:  Lawyer and legal specialist.
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Allen M., Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have already got a judgement in another state on my borrower.

Customer Question

I have already got a judgement in another state on my borrower. Can I get a separate judgement for the same case in another state for a different amount? or do I have to domesticate that particular Judgement
Submitted: 4 years ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  Allen M., Esq. replied 4 years ago.

Thank you for your question today, I look forward to assisting you. I bring nearly 20 years of legal experience in various disciplines.


You can't raise the same issue again in a new state. You are "estopped" from raising the same facts before any other court for the same purpose.


What you have to do, as you already noted, is use the ability to domesticate that judgment in other states, as permitted by the "full faith and credit" clause of the Constitution.