How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Richard Your Own Question
Richard, Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 55607
Experience:  Attorney with 29 years of experience.
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Richard is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I sued a lawyer that owes me money. He still has not paid.

This answer was rated:

I sued a lawyer that owes me money. He still has not paid. How do I recover the money owed to me?I filed a complaint with the supreme court disciplinary board. An investigation was conducted and it was found that the lawyer in question breached the rules of professional conduct. I have been to two different court hearings, and I have not received any money yet. This has been since July 28, 2008.
Welcome! My goal is to do my very best to understand your situation and to provide a full and complete answer for you.

Good morning. Were you awarded a judgment? If so, did you have a debtor's examination? Thanks.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

1. Yes a judgment awarded

2. I am not sure if a debtor's examination was done.

Thanks so much for following up. You don't have to wait around for him to pay you. Rather, you can take proactive steps to go get your money. Since you were awarded a judgment, as the prevailing party you can return to court with a motion to execute judgment and ask to examine the defendant’s financial and personal information to ascertain their employer and the location of any property or bank accounts. Once you, as the prevailing party, obtain that information in the court, you ask the court to issue an order of garnishment/seizure in order to satisfy the judgment. The court will then issue the order and the clerk will have the forms to serve on the banks or the employer. You didn't mention in what state you were located, but if you are in PA, SC, NC, or Texas, you would not be able to garnish his wages.

Thank you so much for allowing me to help you with your questions. I have done my best to provide information which will be helpful to you. If I have not fully addressed your questions or if you have any follow up questions, or if I have misinterpreted your questions in any way, please do not rate me yet, but simply ask a follow up question without rating so I can provide you with a fully satisfactory answer. If I have fully answered your question(s) to your satisfaction, I would appreciate you rating my service with 3, 4, or 5 faces/stars so I can receive credit for helping you today. I thank you in advance for taking the time to provide me a positive rating!
Richard and 2 other Legal Specialists are ready to help you
Thank you so much for the positive rating! I appreciate having had the opportunity to serve you! If I can be of assistance to you in the future, just look me up and I will be happy to help!