Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law
10285032

Chevrolet Impala SS: I have a 61 chevy impala that I am trying

I have a 61 chevy impala that I am trying to get the title for. It was given to me and the owner passed away before e could get it. I have located the vin number on the fire wall and there are only 12 numbers...the forms are asking for 17 .....How can I get a title for this car..it was pulled out of the woods..
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking.

The 12 digit VIN, regardless of what the forms are asking for, is what was used on vehicles of that age. You fill out the 12 digits and when they see the year on the vehicle they will know that it is the correct number of digits for a VIN from that vehicle year. You are also going to have to attach proof that it was given to you by the owner (such as a gift letter or bill of sale). If you do not have such documentation, you will need to locate a family member to get a duplicate title and sign the vehicle over to you or you have to file a petition in court to quiet the title to the vehicle and provide proof it was given to you in the court.

Thank you so much for using JustAnswer.com. I truly aim to please you as a customer, but please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered. PLEASE use REPLY to EXPERT if you would like more information or if you feel something was not included in your answer.

Kindly remember the ONLY WAY experts receive any credit at all for spending time with customers is if you click on OK, GOOD or EXCELLENT SERVICE even though you have made a deposit or are a subscription customer. YOU MUST COMPLETE THE RATING FOR THE EXPERT TO RECEIVE ANY CREDIT, if not the site keeps your money on deposit.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

PLEASE NOTE WELL WE ARE DEALING WITH LAWS OF 50 STATES PLUS FEDERAL LAWS, AS WELL AS DEALING WITH OTHER CUSTOMERS, SO PLEASE BE PATIENT AND BE ASSURED YOU ARE NOT BEING IGNORED.

There can also be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be taking a break.

You can always request me through my profile at http://www.justanswer.com/law/expert-paulmjd/ or beginning your question with “For PaulMJD…”