How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Sam Your Own Question
Sam, Attorney at Law
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 27011
Experience:  More than 20 years of experience practicing law.
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Sam is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have lived with a man for 12 years, 5 years ago he bought

This answer was rated:

I have lived with a man for 12 years, 5 years ago he bought a house and we got engaged. His name is XXXXX XXXXX name on the loan, I have made a few house payments and we split the bills. He now wants to end thing's because he's not happy, what rights do I have on this house? We live in ohio


I am an attorney with more than 25 years experience. I will provide your information today and look forward to assisting you.

I am sorry to hear of your situation.

Unfortunately, if you were never married and your name is XXXXX XXXXX the deed of the home you are not entitled to anything.

Sure you can sue him for what you feel is money you put into the home with those payments, but most courts will just rule that it was rent paid. But if you want, you can file the law suit which you may be able to do in small claims court on your own without the assistance of a local attorney. Here is a link for more information on small claims court


I suggest if you are going to do that you need to collect the payments you made and see what they total. You can add your "blood, sweat and tear" equity into the equation, too - in other words, if you cut the grass every weekend or the amount of time you used to help re paint - things of that nature

My goal is to provide you with excellent service - if you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up questions. Kindly rate me when you are done.


Sam and 2 other Legal Specialists are ready to help you