How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Law Educator, Esq. Your Own Question
Law Educator, Esq.
Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 116702
Experience:  JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Law Educator, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have been on disibility for Spinal Problems for 3 years now

Customer Question

I have been on disibility for Spinal Problems for 3 years now I get $4200 from SS disability
and SS disibility combined the government says I owe taxes on untaxable there is a J on my w2 from my employer its worker comp. income and wants to ganish it. I was a high earner. They also want to levy these accounts for some trival back taxes. I agreed to pay what I could I offered A lump sum plus an installment plan. They said no because I didn't qualify for a low income program that allows then to waive the 20 % of your offer. I said you can't have it both ways My private insurance is either income or not, You sat it is but for purposes of deducting it from SS you say it doesn't 2700 minus 1700= 2000. which qualifies for low income. The called and refused my offer and I haven't heard from them in 2 months. My statue runs out in 2 years. What shoud I do. Steve
Submitted: 4 years ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 4 years ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking.

Whether or not your SS benefits are taxable depends on the total earnings you make for the year. If your adjusted gross income is over approximately $32,000 per year then you have to pay taxes on your benefits. Workers compensation benefits are not considered earned income and thus not taxable in CA or by the IRS.

If they have made a mistake in the "trivial back taxes" they claim you owe, then you need to first dispute the amounts due. Once you dispute the amounts due and get the proper adjustment made, you need to just hold off on them and keep calling them to push them for an offer in compromise to settle the amount due with them. They will eventually relent, especially if you continue to call and keep your cool and negotiate with them about the extreme financial hardship and your disability.

You need to continue negotiating with them, which will hold them off from trying to garnish (since for back taxes or government debt they can garnish SSDI and SSI) and work on them for the compromise.

Thank you so much for using I truly aim to please you as a customer, but please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered. PLEASE use REPLY to EXPERT if you would like more information or if you feel something was not included in your answer.

Kindly remember the ONLY WAY experts receive any credit at all for spending time with customers is if you click on OK, GOOD or EXCELLENT SERVICE even though you have made a deposit or are a subscription customer. YOU MUST COMPLETE THE RATING FOR THE EXPERT TO RECEIVE ANY CREDIT, if not the site keeps your money on deposit.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.


There can also be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be taking a break.

You can always request me through my profile at or beginning your question with “For PaulMJD…”