Ask a Lawyer and Get Answers to Your Legal Questions

i live in a pet friendly building, i just adopted a puppy,

yes i play with him...
i live in a pet friendly building, i just adopted a puppy, yes i play with him, but the people downstairs called the management company to complain that my puppy is a nuisance. He is just a puppy, and we go to bed at 11pm every night. as a tenant, what do i do? I am not loud at all. they also bang on the ceiling when i vacuum, i never had any problems ever , this is a first for me. So what time are we aloud to be noisy until?
5/1/2013
Barrister, Attorney
Hello and thank you for using JA! My goal is to provide you with excellent service and help with your legal problem.
.
Noise ordinances are city and state specific so if you can tell me where this is, I will see if I can locate the specific ordinance for you.
.
Has the landlord made any comments to you regarding the puppy?
.
Are you vaccuuming during daytime hours? (this may seem like an odd question, but you never know)
.
.
Thanks

this building has over 40 dogs of all sizes, my landlord never said anything, when i was offered to rent here, the rent is a little higher then other places because pet friendly. i live in Bayridge Brooklyn.

I vacuum in the day time (im not a nut case).

I dont wear heels, i do have huge throw carpets already..

Im just upset that i got the call from management...I wanted to see what i can do...I am really a quiet person, When i say play with my puppy, just playing, but i dont this after 10;30-11,,,im too tired and old..i need to sleep now its after 11:00..

Vicki

Thank you for the additional information. The noise code in Brooklyn states that there are "quiet hours" in all five boroughs from 10pm to 7am and that "reasonable" noise levels are expected at all times.
.
So as long as you aren't creating any unreasonable disturbances past 10pm there is no violation here. You wouldn't want to play with the dog after 10pm though.
.
With that said, you can respond to the management that you aren't creating any type of unreasonable noise during "quiet hours" as specified by city ordinances. Your vaccuum woud not be creating any more than 70db during the day which is equivalent to normal traffic noise so there is no violation there either.
.
The management has a duty to respond to complaints even if they are unfounded so I would suggest responding to them in writing sent certified mail to document your response and refute the allegations that you are being unreasonably loud.
.
If the neighbors continue their actions despite you not creating an unreasonable disturbance, you can notify them that you will file a complaint for harassment if they continue.
.
But based on your comments, I would opine that vaccuuming occasionally and playing with the puppy during normal "non quiet hours" would not give rise to any type of violation with the management.
.

.

.

Thanks.

.

.

Please remember to rate my service. If you need further help, just reply to me via the “REPLY” button and I will be happy to continue.

.

I cannot enter into an attorney client relationship, this is a public forum, and all posts are available for public viewing. There is no duty of confidentiality that attaches to any posts. The information provided is not a substitute for a local attorney’s legal advice.

Barrister, Attorney

thank you very much. Best,Vicki

You are very welcome. Glad I could help.
.
.
Thanks
Barrister, Attorney