How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Marsha411JD Your Own Question
Marsha411JD, Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 20396
Experience:  Licensed Atty, 29 yrs exp in the practice of law.
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Marsha411JD is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Marsha, Though I just moved to the state of Maryland for

Customer Question


Though I just moved to the state of Maryland for work but own a residence in Texas. I am currently renting in Maryland. Will I need to pay Maryland state taxes at the end of the year? My work is split in between Herndon, VA and Fort Meade, Maryland. I started my work on March 11th.
Submitted: 4 years ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  Marsha411JD replied 4 years ago.
Hello again and thank you for the follow up question. Yes, unfortunately if you are working in Maryland, you will have to pay State taxes there for the period you work there. If your main office that you work out of is Maryland and you just go over to VA to do jobs, or the like, then it would all be Maryland. However, if your office is located in Virginia, then you will have to file in Virginia and Maryland. It is a mess. I lived in California, then moved to DC but worked in Maryland and had to file in all three "states" that year. Of course, you can't be double taxed, but the paper work is most definitely inconvenient.