How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask TexLaw Your Own Question
TexLaw, Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 4430
Experience:  Lead trial/International commercial attorney licensed 11 yrs
Type Your Legal Question Here...
TexLaw is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Well, I live in California. And, I am disabled. And it is

Customer Question

Well, I live in California. And, I am disabled.
And it is the same district court as Washington the federal court of 9th district. Plus here I can follow the case on line. I need alimony. He never sent me paper work to look over, and he never notified me of court date. The only time he notified me was after the day of the appeal would have been processed. I don't know what to do? I filed a complaint against him with the Bar.
Submitted: 4 years ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  TexLaw replied 4 years ago.
The court in which you file the lawsuit has to have jurisdiction over him. Even though you are in the same Federal Circuit as him, this does not mean that the court would have jurisdiction. In order to file in California against him, you would have to prove that he does business in California, rather than in Washington.

The only option you have would be to file the suit in Washington against him.