Ask a Lawyer and Get Answers to Your Legal Questions

I need to file a witness list for court. However most of the

I need to file a...
I need to file a witness list for court. However most of the people that I need to call as witness I do not know their names or only know the first names. The work for the company that I am suing. Is there a motion or subpoena that I can file to make the plaintiff give me the names of the people that I need to call as witnesses? If so what is the name of that motion of subpoena?
4/27/2013
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking.

I am afraid that this is the purpose of discovery which you should have been conducting since the beginning of the case. It is not a motion or a subpoena, you were supposed to serve them with Interrogatories, which are questions where you ask for the names and addresses of the witnesses in the case.

If they do not respond to your Interrogatories, then you would have to file a motion to compel answer to interrogatories in the court and the court would order them to provide the information in response to your interrogatories.

Thank you so much for using JustAnswer.com. I truly aim to please you as a customer, but please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered. PLEASE use REPLY to EXPERT if you would like more information or if you feel something was not included in your answer.

Kindly remember the ONLY WAY experts receive any credit at all for spending time with customers is if you click on OK, GOOD or EXCELLENT SERVICE even though you have made a deposit or are a subscription customer. YOU MUST COMPLETE THE RATING FOR THE EXPERT TO RECEIVE ANY CREDIT, if not the site keeps your money on deposit.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

PLEASE NOTE WELL WE ARE DEALING WITH LAWS OF 50 STATES PLUS FEDERAL LAWS, AS WELL AS DEALING WITH OTHER CUSTOMERS, SO PLEASE BE PATIENT AND BE ASSURED YOU ARE NOT BEING IGNORED.

There can also be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be taking a break.

You can always request me through my profile at http://www.justanswer.com/law/expert-paulmjd/ or beginning your question with “For PaulMJD…”

How long do they have to answer Interrogatories before you can file a motion to compel?

Thank you for your response.

They have 30 days to respond to you and after that you can file the motion to compel.
Law Educator, Esq., Attorney