Ask a Lawyer and Get Answers to Your Legal Questions

my husband passed away aug 2012. we had been married since

2000. he brought a house...
my husband passed away aug 2012. we had been married since 2000. he brought a house for us in 2005. i did not sign any loan documents due to not have a job. (i was a stay at home mom). my name is XXXXX XXXXX deed of the house. but i did not sign any loan documents for the house. i have since brought a house. Today i got a letter from a law company address to my husband & I, stating the house he brought for us is going in foreclosure and they are sending a letter to collect a debt. Will i be responsible for that house he brought for us?
4/27/2013
Barrister, Attorney
Hello and thank you for using JA! My goal is to provide you with excellent service and help with your legal problem.
.
Will i be responsible for that house he brought for us?
.
No, only the signers on the mortgage can be held liable for payment of the mortgage if it goes into default. Since husband has passed, now only his estate is liable for any deficiency from a foreclosure sale. If his estate has been settled and closed or he had no assets in his name solely, then the lender will just take a loss on the loan.
.
You are receiving the notices because you are on the deed to the property and are considered an "interested party", but you aren't liable for the debt.
.

.

.

Thanks.

.

.

Please remember to rate my service. If you need further help, just reply to me via the “REPLY” button and I will be happy to continue.

.

I cannot enter into an attorney client relationship, this is a public forum, and all posts are available for public viewing. There is no duty of confidentiality that attaches to any posts. The information provided is not a substitute for a local attorney’s legal advice.

Barrister, Attorney

thxs so much... i can sleep well tonite.

You are very welcome. Glad I could help.
.
Thanks
Barrister, Attorney
Barrister, Attorney