How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Alex J. Esq. Your Own Question
Alex J. Esq.
Alex J. Esq., Attorney at Law
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 16721
Experience:  Experienced Licensed Attorney
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Alex J. Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

how do i sue someone for common law for emotional distress

This answer was rated:

how do i sue someone for common law for emotional distress and dmages of support of him for over 4500.00 and him taking my truck and getting it impounded without my authorization and the truck still is in the inpound?
Hello. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be happy to answer your question.

I am sorry to hear about your unfortunate situation.

Can you please let me know your relationship to this person and what has taken place that leads up to your claim?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I have been in an relationship with Davin Ajon Foreman for 11 years sinse April 25, of 2000. WE have been married under the common law rule after 5 years. He is under all of my military documents as if we are already married. I am an active duty member. We were scheduled to get married this August but he informs me he no longer wish to get married legally at all.

I have been supporting him since he is unemployeed everything that he ever needed i sent him the money cause he choose to stay with his family but i went to see him at least 6 months out of every year. I am currently ready to deploy again this september. on the day of our anniversary he informs me he is not aware of an anniversary and he is no longer in love with me.

i just want to get reimbursed for all of my financial support of him that comes to $4500.00. I will also like for him to get my truck out of the pound that got in pounded in dec 2012. and it is no telling how much it cost and he cant even tell me where my truck currently is. i just want reimbursement and he can go on his sorry excuse of a man way.

Dear Evelyn,

Did you ever register your common law marriage?

In what state were you residing with this man in the last 11 years?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

yes in the state of north carolina. being in the military i have moved constantly so at the most time we spent i would have to say fl.

Dear Evelyn,

So the common law marriage was registered at the state of North Carolina? Correct?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Yes that would be correct Mr. Esquire.

Dear Evelyn,

The state of North Carolina does not recognize or allow registration of common law marriages, unless such common law marriage was entered into in another state that allows it.

Can you please check on where you have registered your common law marriage and let me know?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

my bad south carolina is what this document says.

Dear Evelyn,

Have you or your common law husband filed for divorce yet and if not, when are you planing to file for a divorce?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I was just told he no longer wished to be together on thursday which was our anniversary. So, i am filing for it within this month. i just wanted to know my rights before hand.

Dear Evelyn,

Thank you for your follow up.

Since you have been formally in a common marriage with your husband for 11 years, such marriage is treated the same as any other legal marriage and you will need to file for a divorce.

You would have to make any claims for any marital property or money owed to you by your husband in your divorce petition and any financial disputes would have to be resolved in the local family court during your divorce case.

It is a very good idea for you to consult and retain local experienced divorce attorney, who will be able to represent you in your upcoming divorce and will make sure that your legal rights and interests are protected in the upcoming divorce.

You can find an experienced and established local divorce attorney who also specializes in common law marriages and divorces, by using these well trusted and reliable attorney information / referral websites:

I wish you the best of luck!
Alex J. Esq. and other Legal Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

thank you very much for your assistance in this matter. Have a great night/day.

Dear Evelyn,

Thank you for using and I also want to thank you for your service in the Military.

Good luck and GOD bless you!