ScottyMacEsq, Attorney
Experience:  Licensed Texas General Practice Attorney
19487448

I received a violation notice in the mail to appear in US District

Customer Question

I received a violation notice in the mail to appear in US District Court for possession of a controlled substance - Marijuana. The location was the National Seashore Park in Wellfleet, MA which is federally owned even though in Massachusetts it is a civil offense to possess an once or less. There is a court appearance date with the option to pay the fine of $125. When I called the phone number to get information, the women said that it was considered to be a petty misdemeanor. It says that by paying this fine, it waives the right to contest the violation notice, to a trial or to be represented by counsel. Does this mean that they are waiting for me to pay the $125 so that they can bring further charges because this is an admission of guilt? or does paying the $125 end this charge. Also, does a petty misdemeanor show up as having a record on a regular background check (not the one where dismissals and everything else shows up). Will it still come back as "no record". I did not see any signs that the beach is Federal property and that Massachusetts laws don't apply. The beach is miles long. Thanks
Expert:  ScottyMacEsq replied 4 years ago.

ScottyMacEsq :

Thank you for using JustAnswer. I am researching your issue and will respond shortly.

ScottyMacEsq :

I'm sorry to hear about your situation. They're probably not going to bring any further charges, as this is an admission of guilt and it's essentially you pleading guilty for it. Your guilty plea would not apply to any other charges brought against you.

ScottyMacEsq :

As for a criminal record, a petty misdemeanor is a criminal offense and it will almost certainly show up on the criminal record.

ScottyMacEsq :

The fact that there was no notice does not change the fact that you were on Federal land (if you were in fact on Federal land).

ScottyMacEsq :

If you were not, that would be a defense that you could use, in that the court would not have any jurisdiction over that case if that were in fact the truth (that you were not on Federal land).

ScottyMacEsq :

Hope that clears things up a bit. If you have any other questions, please let me know. If not, and you have not yet, please rate my answer. Please note that I don't get any credit for my answer unless and until you rate it a 3, 4, 5 (good or better). Thank you, and good luck to you!

ScottyMacEsq :

I see that you have not responded in some time. Please note that this question is still open until you rate it. I believe that I have answered your question, but if you have any other questions, please let me know. If you have any other questions, please let me know. If not, and you have not yet, please rate my answer. Please note that I don't get any credit for my answer unless and until you rate it a 3, 4, 5 (good or better). Thank you, and again, good luck to you!