How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dimitry K., Esq. Your Own Question
Dimitry K., Esq.
Dimitry K., Esq., Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 41221
Experience:  Multiple jurisdictions, specialize in business/contract disputes, estate creation and administration.
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Dimitry K., Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am a police officer and got married 9 months ago. Ever since

This answer was rated:

I am a police officer and got married 9 months ago. Ever since I continued to use my maiden name as my professional name. Legally I changed my name to my husbands. We are both police officers and for safety reasons I wanted to continue to use my maiden name as my professional name. Is that legal? My chief is recently worried that under oath in court when asked my name, that when I use my professional name, since its not my legal name, that what I'm saying wont be accurate.

Thank you for your question. Please permit me to assist you with your concerns.

To answer your question directly, you can most definitely continue to use your original name. That woud be considered your 'pseudonym' or your professional name. For example for attorneys when we get barred, the name that is on our bar certificate remains regardless on whether or not the attorney in question pursues a name change or gets married. The same courtesy is applied to other professionals. All you need to do is if you testify, you can state that your professional name is "A" and your married name is "B", which would no longer be concern for impeachment purposes.

Good luck.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I need a little more information than that. Is there a legal statute that allows this? And my chief is forcing me to change it. What are my rights. I need to show the chief actual law or case law, not just opinion.


There is no 'case law' on this--even the IRS permits you to use a different name so long as you can prove that the name belongs to you. Your chief has no legal right or ability to compel the change--your name is XXXXX XXXXX change, not his. Explain to the chief that since the name belongs to you, he has no legal ability or right to compel a change, and if he is so concerned, have him call the union or city attorney for a clarification. He cannot compel the change especially since your 'professional' or 'stage' name can be different from your legal or married name.

Good luck.

Dimitry K., Esq. and 4 other Legal Specialists are ready to help you