How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dwayne B. Your Own Question
Dwayne B.
Dwayne B., Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 33935
Experience:  Began practicing law in 1992
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Dwayne B. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have two grandsons living with me, 10 and 14. The 14 year

Customer Question

I have two grandsons living with me, 10 and 14. The 14 year old has a processing disorder and trouble controlling his temper. He was in a fight and knocked the other child out, momentarily, at school. He was suspended for a week. Can we be sued by the parents of the other child. I have a power of attorney but not guardianship for the boys.
Submitted: 4 years ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  Dwayne B. replied 4 years ago.

JD 1992 :

Hello and thank you for contacting Just Answer. I am an expert here and I look forward to assisting you today. If at any point any of my answers aren’t clear please don’t hesitate to ask for clarification.

JD 1992 :

Yes, you could be sued but it isn't likely they could be successful.

JD 1992 :

What they would have to do is sue both you and the parents of the child and then prove you were somehow negligent.

JD 1992 :

It looks like the Chat function may be having problems so I am going to switch this to a Q and A format to be sure you can see the answers.

JACUSTOMER-j7krgcqa- :

Thank you, I don't anticipate this will happen but I would rahter have an idea if we are liable. His mother and father are across the US and it is likely he will be with us for some time I really appreciate the response

Expert:  Dwayne B. replied 4 years ago.
I'm happy to be of any assistance that I can.

Is there anything else I can answer for you?