How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dimitry K., Esq. Your Own Question
Dimitry K., Esq.
Dimitry K., Esq., Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 41221
Experience:  Multiple jurisdictions, specialize in business/contract disputes, estate creation and administration.
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Dimitry K., Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

my son is losing his mind. He just found out that his 16 year

Customer Question

my son is losing his mind. He just found out that his 16 year old daughter is pregnant, she lives with her mother full time. Her mother let her boyfriend move in for 6/7 months and sleep in the same bed as daughter, now she's pregnant. He has bc/bs insurance, but his ex wife has been keeping all the medical bills because they didn't want to tell him. His daughter is 4 1/2 months pregnant. Now, the ex is demanding that my son pay. Is he responsible for this?
Submitted: 4 years ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  Dimitry K., Esq. replied 4 years ago.

Thank you for your question. Please permit me to assist you this afternoon.

I am terribly sorry to hear that your son is stuck in this position. By 'paying', I am assuming that you mean for her medical care and her insurance. In that case, since the child is still a legal minor and is under his coverage, your son is indeed legally responsible for a portion or the whole of those bills. What would govern is if there is any sort of a custodial decree in place which would specify who is legally liable for what in terms of care. Typically the parent who has the child on their medical insurance covers the costs. Anything beyond coverage is typically split in half between both parents. I truly wish I had a different answer for you, one suggestion may be to pursue a paternity test as soon as possible and then pursue the boyfriend for her neo-natal and pre-natal care, as he would also be a party who would have some liability to her medical bills.

Good luck.