Andrea, Esq.
Andrea, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  25 yrs. experience in family law, estates, real estate, business law, criminal defense, immigration, and employment law.
20073497

landlord came over and hammered on my door...said we need to

landlord came over and hammered on my door...said we need to talk and pushed pass me into my house..said he found dog poop at his house...and said the next time he finds poop he going to make me clean it up. He has a cat..and there are several dogs in the neighborhood and stray cats. I have an indoor poodle that never has stepped foot in his yard. He also said he doesn't pay his yard man to clean his shoes off and to clean up my dogs crap. The thing it wasn't me or my dog that pooped in his yard and he barged into my house in a very threatening manner. There was a witness outside that said he was outta control. He was so angry he looked like he was going to explode he scared both me and my daughter. He is an ex-cop who was forced to retire in relation to his anger issues. He is a property manager here only for his friend, the owner is a judge who now resides in Florida. What are my rights as a tenant I am scared to do anything but what he did is wrong and I would like to know my rights...

Hello and Welcome to JustAnswer, My name is XXXXX XXXXX my goal is to provide you with Excellent Service,

I am sorry you had this experience with this individual,

Neither the landlord, nor his property manager has any right to enter the tenant's property once it has been rented. The only time a landlord or his property manager van enter the rental unit is to inspect the property and then, only upon giving the tenant a minimum of 24 hours notice.

By pushing his way into your property for no other purpose than to make unfounded accusations, he breached the warranty of quiet enjoyment which the law implies in every lease. You should send written notice to this individual (with a copy sent to the owner and a copy for your records) that he has breached the lease by his actions and specifically the implied warranty of quiet enjoyment. You should also include in your letter that his accusations were unfounded and unwarranted and if he engages in that conduct again, you will consider this harassment and intimidation, and he will force you to seek legal recourse for his actions and name the landlord also.

The basis for the landlord's liability is founded on the law of agency which makes the principal liable for the acts of his agent when the agent is acting on behalf of the principal.

You do not have to let this individual in your property under any circumstances when he is having fits of anger like this.

Please be kind enough to rate my service to you as "Excellent Service",

Bonus and Positive Feedback are greatly appreciated,

Thank you for allowing me the opportunity to assist you,

ANDREA

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Thank you Andrea, your reply was very informative. Can I hire you to write a letter?:)

Hi, again, Thank you for the compliment, I appreciate it,

The site rules prohibit us from taking on customers as clients and I am not admitted to practice in New Jersey. However, I am permitted to accept your offer through this website. First, you would rate my service to you so that I can receive credit for Answering your question and furnishing you with information. We are not permitted to discuss or negotiate price with customers so, it is up to the customer to make the offer. You can do so by offering a bonus and if the amount is acceptable, I will need some further information from you on the lease so that I may refer to it in the letter.

ANDREA