How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dimitry K., Esq. Your Own Question
Dimitry K., Esq.
Dimitry K., Esq., Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 41221
Experience:  Multiple jurisdictions, specialize in business/contract disputes, estate creation and administration.
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Dimitry K., Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Im sorry I keep getting disconnected every time I hit "get

This answer was rated:

I'm sorry I keep getting disconnected every time I hit "get an answer" I'll try again,
I am borrowing money from and individual. Along with our agreement, can a lien in his name be placed on my car (as collateral) to secure this loan?
Thank you

Thank you for your question. Please permit me to assist you with your concerns.

To answer directly, yes, the individual can go to the DMV and attach a lien against the vehicle so as to perfect his interest in the property. Such an option is very possible and fairly easy to record.

Good luck.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Thank you for the response. One follow up, the lender lives in Florida I have come here to Florida to visit but the car is registered in Maryland. Would the lien be filed here in Florida? I will not be returning to Maryland for some time.

Thank you for your follow-up.

That is a good question. The lien would be filed in the state where the vehicle is registered. The lien holder can also file for a lien in the state and jurisdiction where the potential defendant (the debtor) resides, but it would be a bit more complicated since in that case the order would be against the individual and not against the vehicle.

Good luck.

Dimitry K., Esq. and 8 other Legal Specialists are ready to help you