Ask a Lawyer and Get Answers to Your Legal Questions

Im sorry I keep getting disconnected every time I hit "get

I'm sorry I keep getting...
I'm sorry I keep getting disconnected every time I hit "get an answer" I'll try again,
I am borrowing money from and individual. Along with our agreement, can a lien in his name be placed on my car (as collateral) to secure this loan?
Thank you
Answered in 1 minute by:
4/26/2013

Thank you for your question. Please permit me to assist you with your concerns.

To answer directly, yes, the individual can go to the DMV and attach a lien against the vehicle so as to perfect his interest in the property. Such an option is very possible and fairly easy to record.

Good luck.

Thank you for the response. One follow up, the lender lives in Florida I have come here to Florida to visit but the car is registered in Maryland. Would the lien be filed here in Florida? I will not be returning to Maryland for some time.

Thank you for your follow-up.

That is a good question. The lien would be filed in the state where the vehicle is registered. The lien holder can also file for a lien in the state and jurisdiction where the potential defendant (the debtor) resides, but it would be a bit more complicated since in that case the order would be against the individual and not against the vehicle.

Good luck.

Dimitry K., Esq., Attorney