Ask a Lawyer and Get Answers to Your Legal Questions

I was non selected for a civil service position in November

of 2012. The position was...
I was non selected for a civil service position in November of 2012. The position was Distribution and Deployment Flight Chief, Keesler AFB Ms. At the time of the non selection I was under appointment to the position of Installation Transportation Officer. I was appointed to this position because I was the only individual on the installation qualified to perform the duties associated with the position. This position constitutes a vital role of the Distribution and Deployment Flight Chief. Although I was non selected, my name and title of Installation Transportation Officer is still being used to date. This is of great concern because I retired in Jan of 2013 after my non selection. I feel the continued use of my name to orchestrate official logistic movements is illegal. I filled a discrimination complaint against my superiors because of the non selection. I would like to know if I have any legal recourse for the continued use of my name on official documents without my consent. Can I request restitution?
4/26/2013
Thank you for your question. Please permit me to assist you with your concerns.

I am genuinely sorry to hear that you are in this situation. To answer directly, the use of your title and name without your consent is not permitted since you as the holder of the name must consent to the use of your identification and likeness. There is no inherent restitution here but you can potentially file civilly against them for damages to your name, reputation, and likeness over repeated use of your name--that is less a criminal matter although there may be elements of forgery or fraud if someone signed as you without your intent, but it is instead more of an intellectual property concern. Your name and likeness is your intellectual property which you have a right to protect.

Hope that helps.

Hope that helps.

Dimitry K., Esq., Attorney