Dwayne B.
Dwayne B., Attorney
Experience:  Began practicing law in 1992
11068102

What happens if you review your student loan file and find

What happens if you review your student loan file and find mistakes in calculations of your loans when they were consolidated? Second, if you have raised concerns both with the Department of Education and the organization who funds your student loans and the responses do address your concerns (typically a "canned" response) what do you do?

JD 1992 :

If you have made requests for corrections and they have chosen not to make them then your only option is to file a lawsuit and ask the court to correct the errors, make the proper credits,e tc.

Customer:

It is difficult to get that assistance. I have asked two attorneys here in Omaha and they don't want to take it because "it is too complicated." What type of attorney should I hire to address this. It isn't just a small error--it is a $20,000 error.

JD 1992 :

You would want to hire an attorney that does civil trial law or civil litigation. You could also look for one who does consumer law.

Customer:

I think if I were an attorney--based on all my research--there is $$ to be made trying to address student loan issues.

JD 1992 :

You need to be aware that the lawyer may charge you up front but you can recover your attorney's fees in the lawsuit.

JD 1992 :

The problem is that most people won't pay in advance so that can cause problems.

Customer:

I had a legal issue with a Razor Powerwing Scooter--I got cut by it and it severed my tendon. It wasn't great at all...the scooter was recalled two months later. I wanted an apology and the costs associated with the injury covered (insurance, etc.). No apology--as the corporations never admit to guilt but they do recalls! I am amazed at the lack of care and quality control corporations have now. However, I did change the safety culture at all Dick's Sporting Good stores after it happened (the scooter was there to "test" and no warnings or anything posted).

Customer:

Thank you for your help.