Ask a Lawyer and Get Answers to Your Legal Questions

I have been offered a job in the United States subject to passing

a pre-employment medical / physical...
I have been offered a job in the United States subject to passing a pre-employment medical / physical. I currently live in South Africa (have green card - all legal!). The physical requires a full gynaecological exam and mammogram in addition to the usual ecg, drug test etc. I do not have choice on the physician or medical organisation as the prospective employer has arranged everything through an international medical service provider. I don't see how these invasive examinations have anything to do with my ability to carry out my employment. What are my rights regarding this?
4/25/2013
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking.

Under US law, an employer has a right to conduct such physical examinations, BUT under the Americans with Disabilities Act cannot deny employment to anyone based on their disability if one is discovered on the pre-employment examination. If the employer denies you employment based on the results of the examination, you have a right to file a complaint in the US with the EEOC for discrimination under the ADA. However, legally the US laws state someone with an offer of employment may be subjected to a physical examination such as the one you are being sent to and while the examination may or may not have anything to do with your job abilities, it can be used for employer benefits and determining whether or not an employee will be able to carry out their job to the end of their contract.

Thank you so much for using JustAnswer.com. I truly aim to please you as a customer, but please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered. PLEASE use REPLY to EXPERT if you would like more information or if you feel something was not included in your answer.

Kindly remember the ONLY WAY experts receive any credit at all for spending time with customers is if you click on OK, GOOD or EXCELLENT SERVICE even though you have made a deposit or are a subscription customer. YOU MUST COMPLETE THE RATING FOR THE EXPERT TO RECEIVE ANY CREDIT, if not the site keeps your money on deposit.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

PLEASE NOTE WELL WE ARE DEALING WITH LAWS OF 50 STATES PLUS FEDERAL LAWS, AS WELL AS DEALING WITH OTHER CUSTOMERS, SO PLEASE BE PATIENT AND BE ASSURED YOU ARE NOT BEING IGNORED.

There can also be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be taking a break.

You can always request me through my profile at http://www.justanswer.com/law/expert-paulmjd/ or beginning your question with “For PaulMJD…”

Law Educator, Esq., Attorney