How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask N Cal Atty Your Own Question
N Cal Atty
N Cal Atty, Lawyer
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 9339
Experience:  attorney at self
Type Your Legal Question Here...
N Cal Atty is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

What rights do I have when U.S. marshals come to my door?

This answer was rated:

What rights do I have when U.S. marshals come to my door?
Unless they have a warrant, or some writ to be executed, you are not required to open the door.

It is rare for Marshals to serve arrest or search warrants, they usually knock on doors to serve subpoenas or other legal documents.

I hope this information is helpful.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

They are looking for my adult son from another state. There is a warrant for him. They keep going to all relatives houses questioning everybody. Do we have to talk?

No you are not required to talk other than to say if he is there or not.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

They say they have a video of me with my son somewhere. It is possible, so I just went along with them because they threatened to arrest me if I lie. They say if I help them find him they won't arrest me. Do I need to get a lawyer or what?

Yes you should get an attorney. The Marshals have no grounds to arrest you without an arrest warrant and their threats were not legal. They have no right to search your home without a search warrant even if they have an arrest warrant for your son.

May I ask where you are located so I can get you a list of local attorneys who could assist you?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Charleston WV

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Also, they have planted devices in my house and car. What can I do??

They are not supposed to affix any kind of device to your home or vehicle without consent and without a warrant, and that issue has been definitively decided by the U.S. Supreme Court in U.S. v. Jones.

You can get a free consultation from some of the local civil rights lawyers listed here.

Please follow up on this with a local attorney.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Do you know how I can find these devices?

You would have to hire a private investigator to do an electronic sweep of the places you believe have had devices attached.
N Cal Atty and 7 other Legal Specialists are ready to help you
Thank you for the Excellent rating!

Related Legal Questions