How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dimitry K., Esq. Your Own Question
Dimitry K., Esq.
Dimitry K., Esq., Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 41221
Experience:  Multiple jurisdictions, specialize in business/contract disputes, estate creation and administration.
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Dimitry K., Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I had my daughters friend living in my house while she was

This answer was rated:

I had my daughters friend living in my house while she was pregnant I have had the baby for 5 months now caring for her the girl finally signed a waiver and some legal papers to give me temporary custody of the baby. I am not a blood relative I am just the babies god mother and the person who has financially and physically taking care of the baby since birth. I have posted in the news paper to find the biological father but have had no luck in finding and recently filed a default with the court will i be able to win custody.
Thank you for your question. Please permit me to assist you with your concerns.

I am sorry to hear that you are in this situation. Is the other person on the birth certificate or is it just your daughter's friend listed as the parent? Are any of her parents of family interested in custody of the child?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

the father is not listed on the birth certificate it is only the mother and her mother does not want the child.

Thank you for your follow-up, Esabel.

In that case it is very likely that you will be able to prevail. The courts as a general rule favor family first, but if family is either unfit, absent, or unwilling to assist, then they look to the next closest person with a 'bond' to the child. By virtue of you residing with this child for 5 months and caring for him, as well as obtaining temporary rights, unless you yourself are somehow unfit in the eyes of the court, you would be the strongest candidate for custody. As there is no other parent listed and the real mother does not want the child, you are in the strongest position to get the courts to grant you custodial rights. This is a very strong claim.

Good luck.

Dimitry K., Esq. and other Legal Specialists are ready to help you