How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Law Educator, Esq. Your Own Question
Law Educator, Esq.
Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 117358
Experience:  JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Law Educator, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

i live in harrisburg south dakota and was driving home from

This answer was rated:

i live in harrisburg south dakota and was driving home from the gas station and was pulled over in front of my house for reving my engine. the officer checked all paper work and then asked for me to take a breathlyzer. i blew a .021 and was wrote a ticket for underage consumption. i am 20 years old and have one other offense, which was a minor in possesion in colorado 6 years ago and recieved a defered judgement. my current job as a field service technician requires me to drive a company vehicle daily. i am wondering what the chances may be of a suspended license. what steps i can take to insure this wont happen as i may lose my job.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking.

I am afraid that under SD law, there is a minimum 30 day suspension of your license that is mandatory by the state law upon conviction. Thus, you would have to fight this charge and try to fight the probable cause for them stopping you and the probable cause for them testing you, such as there was no smell of alcoholic beverage. If you lose this case in court and are convicted, you will face the minimum mandatory license suspension and SD will not issue a hardship license to drive to and from work.

You are entitled to an attorney, so if you cannot afford one get in touch with the public defender's office for legal representation on this because the only way to avoid the suspension is to get the underage consumption dismissed or found not guilty.

Thank you so much for using I truly aim to please you as a customer, but please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered. PLEASE use REPLY to EXPERT if you would like more information or if you feel something was not included in your answer.

Kindly remember the ONLY WAY experts receive any credit at all for spending time with customers is if you click on OK, GOOD or EXCELLENT SERVICE even though you have made a deposit or are a subscription customer. YOU MUST COMPLETE THE RATING FOR THE EXPERT TO RECEIVE ANY CREDIT, if not the site keeps your money on deposit.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.


There can also be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be taking a break.

You can always request me through my profile at or beginning your question with “For PaulMJD…”

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
When you say dismissed is that the same as like a plea bargin or deferred judgement
Thank you for your response.

A deferred judgment can work as long as the court does not report the plea to the DMV. It is not the court that suspends your license it is DMV and if they enter any conviction, including a no contest (nolo contendere) plea, DMV will issue the suspension automatically. There are some plea deals where the prosecutor will allow you to pay your fine and dismiss or refuse to prosecute the case which would not be picked up by DMV for the mandatory suspension.
Law Educator, Esq. and 6 other Legal Specialists are ready to help you

Related Legal Questions