How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Law Educator, Esq. Your Own Question
Law Educator, Esq.
Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 118649
Experience:  JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Law Educator, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have called my states attoneys office to find out the answer

This answer was rated:

I have called my state's attoney's office to find out the answer to my luck. They just referred me to the county website. It didn't even address my question.
My question is this...What is the noise ordinance for Livingston County in Illinois namely Pontiac, Illinois?
I need to know this as I have already written to you with an ATV problem disturbing my peace. I live in a subdivision right outside the city limits. Can you help?
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking.

Do you live outside of the Pontiac city limits? It seems you are stating that above.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Yes, I live about a mile and a quarter outside of Pontiac in a beautiful wooded area. It takes less than 5 minutes to get into town.

The kid I'm writing about is in 7th grade, has many "toys" but his ATV is a racer, extremely loud and he likes to drive fast and reckless.


I can hear him with my windows closed---it's that loud. That's why I need to know about the noise ordinance.

Thank you for clarifying.

In looking at the Livingston County ordinances, since the Pontiac Noise Ordinances do not apply as you are outside of the city, there is no residential noise ordinance, only a noise ordinance for industrial property (56-445 division 14), light industrial property (56-445 division 13, home business (56-552) and wind farms.

As there is nothing in the code about this type of noise in a residential area, you are going to have to work with the County to get some form of noise ordinance passed to help you in this matter or you will have to file a civil suit against the parents of the user of the ATV for creating a public nuisance that interferes with the peaceable use and enjoyment of your property.

Thank you so much for using I truly aim to please you as a customer, but please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered. PLEASE use REPLY to EXPERT if you would like more information or if you feel something was not included in your answer.

Kindly remember the ONLY WAY experts receive any credit at all for spending time with customers is if you click on OK, GOOD or EXCELLENT SERVICE even though you have made a deposit or are a subscription customer. YOU MUST COMPLETE THE RATING FOR THE EXPERT TO RECEIVE ANY CREDIT, if not the site keeps your money on deposit.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.


There can also be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be taking a break.

You can always request me through my profile at or beginning your question with “For PaulMJD…”

Law Educator, Esq. and 6 other Legal Specialists are ready to help you