How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask LegalKnowledge Your Own Question
LegalKnowledge, Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 28384
Experience:  10+ years handling Legal, Real Estate, Criminal Law, Family Law, Traffic matters.
Type Your Legal Question Here...
LegalKnowledge is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I live in Texas. My boyfriend and I have been living together

This answer was rated:

I live in Texas. My boyfriend and I have been living together for over 4 years we have a son together. He has a drug addiction and won't leave my home. I want him out ASAP. They say since the population is growing in our town and there aren't very many homes available it wil take up 3 months to evict him from my home. Isn't there anything else I can do to get him out sooner? I don't have a lot of money to spend on a lawyer
Hi! I will be the professional that will be helping you today. I look forward to providing you with information to help solve your problem.

Good afternoon. I am sorry to hear about what you are dealing with. Just to be clear, you own the home and/or only you are on the lease agreement? Also, who told you this would take 3 months?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I do own the home I am buying it off of my dad. I am the only one on the lease. I called the police in him because he stole my car and when he came to talk to me he told me it would take so long to get him evicted
Thank you for the additional information. Unless he has a legal right to stay there, you and/or your father, would have a legal right to evict him, after providing the required notice to vacate. Contrary to what the officer told you, the Judge is not going to stay the eviction and allow him to stay there, as a result of the town growing and not many homes available to rent. That is not your concern or that of the court, nor is it a legal basis to allow him to stay. The eviction process may take a few weeks but once it is ordered by the Judge, he needs to vacate. If he fails to do so, then the sheriff would return and physically remove him. While I understand that you want him out ASAP, you need to provide him the proper notice ( based upon the reason for eviction) and then file for the eviction and go before the Judge. Unless he can present a legal basis to stay and contest the eviction, the Judge will order it. I personally have never heard of a situation where the Judge allowed a tenant to stay, not pay rent and pose a risk of harm simply as a result of them not being able to find a new place to live.

Please let me know if you have any follow up questions or need any clarification on something which I stated above, prior to rating me. Also, please remember to rate my service with 3, 4, or 5 faces/stars, before exiting the site, so I can receive credit for my help. I hope you found it to be Excellent! Only rate my answer when you are 100% satisfied. If you feel the need to click either of the two faces/stars on the left, please STOP and reply to me via the "REPLY TO EXPERT or CONTINUE CONVERSATION "button. I want to make sure your experience with the site was as pleasurable as possible and that you are satisfied with the help I provided.
LegalKnowledge and other Legal Specialists are ready to help you