How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dwayne B. Your Own Question
Dwayne B.
Dwayne B., Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 33746
Experience:  Began practicing law in 1992
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Dwayne B. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

The other party is taking me to civil court stating that I

This answer was rated:

The other party is taking me to civil court stating that I hit him on a bicycle. This is not true. The other party ran into me. There were no witnesses and no police report. What is my best option to represent myself in civil court. Thank you.
Thanks for the chance to help. I am an attorney with over 12 years experience. Hopefully I can help you with your legal question.

Is this small claims court? Or is this district court (where the other party has a lawyer)?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

civil court where the other party has a lawyer. my ppw is @ home. I I am not sure if it is small or district court. By the way, i took the other party to the hospital and no injuries. thx

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

district court with a lawyer.

I have to step away but will forward this on to another attorney who may be able to assist. Just a moment please...
Hello and thank you for contacting Just Answer. I am an expert here and I look forward to assisting you today. If at any point any of my answers aren’t clear please don’t hesitate to ask for clarification.

I need you to be a little more specific in your question(s) if you could. When we answer general ones like "what is the best option" we have to give general answers and, invariably, the customer responds with "I already knew that". This type of forum works better if you ask specific questions so we know exactly what you are looking for.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

ok understood thx, does the other party have a case against me, providing the information i provided earlier. thank you

If there were no witnesses then it will be a "he said she said" kind of argument but you are at a disadvantage not having an attorney. The burden of proof is on them of course.

Do you have insurance that would have covered you if you had hit them?
Dwayne B., Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 33746
Experience: Began practicing law in 1992
Dwayne B. and 3 other Legal Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

no i am under my wife insurance plan. i agree, that's why i feel confident to represent myself the other party is a neighborhood wino whom i help @ times. I wsnt to be prepared representing myself. thank u so much for ur help and advice!

If there is insurance on the vehicle, then you would need to inform them that you are sued for operating that vehicle. They will provide a lawyer for you. If you don't inform them then they won't provide coverage in case you get a judgment against you.

Are there any specific questions you have as to how to defend yourself? It is a pretty complicated issue and I would be glad to provide information on anything that I can, I just need to know what exactly you are looking for.

Also, it may take me a little while to get back with you when you respond. Often I am online with other people and have to wrap up with them before I can get back to you. However, I will continue working with you until all your questions are answered.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

you have been very helpful. thank you for ur help. u have covered my quedtions. Have a great day!

Great! Please come back if you have anything else.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

will do.