How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Law Educator, Esq. Your Own Question
Law Educator, Esq.
Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 118298
Experience:  JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Law Educator, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

i owe 11042.00 but thay are chargeing me 9663.93 interest can

This answer was rated:

i owe 11042.00 but thay are chargeing me 9663.93 interest can thay do that
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking.

Can you please explain what is going on here? Is there some type of contract you have entered into to pay this money? Is there interest specified in the contract? Please give us more information on what is happening in your case.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

in2000 child support took me to court for 49,000 the order was 650 a month for 5 year it is 2013 and i still owe 11042.00 principal and 9663.00 interest total 20706.00 thay just tell me to talk to other party to stop child support but she refuse wants the money

Thank you for your clarification.

This is a big problem for you I am afraid. When there is a child support order and there is non-payment of support, child support enforcement agency is allowed to charge interest on all arrears. The reason is that had the money been paid on time, no interest would be due, but since it was not paid when due judicial interest is allowed to accumulate by law and that is the interest that is being added to your balance. The only way to get out of this interest I am afraid is going to the court and making a motion to waive interest and prove some significant financial hardship and argue to the court that based on this hardship the interest should be waived or reduced and only the court has the power to do this.

Thank you so much for using I truly aim to please you as a customer, but please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered. PLEASE use REPLY to EXPERT if you would like more information or if you feel something was not included in your answer.

Kindly remember the ONLY WAY experts receive any credit at all for spending time with customers is if you click on OK, GOOD or EXCELLENT SERVICE even though you have made a deposit or are a subscription customer. YOU MUST COMPLETE THE RATING FOR THE EXPERT TO RECEIVE ANY CREDIT, if not the site keeps your money on deposit.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.


There can also be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be taking a break.

You can always request me through my profile at or beginning your question with “For PaulMJD…”

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

i have been paying the 650.00 a month as of 2000 is there a law thay can only take it for 5 year

Thank you for your response.

I understand that you have been paying, but there were arrears before you started paying and I am afraid the interest builds on those arrears and interest on arrears has no limitation to going back only five years (there is no such law to that regard).
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

what are other way i can get out of this i have payed in over 85,000 chid support my son will be 29 year old

Thank you for your response.

This is something that we are frequently asked by parents owing child support. I am afraid this is not something that has many ways to "get out of" legally. Other than the court ordering waiver of interest or your ex agreeing there is only one other possible way out, bankruptcy.

Child support interest may be discharged in bankruptcy, if you qualify for filing bankruptcy. Child support itself cannot be discharged, but interest and penalties may be discharged by bankruptcy and would have to be filed as an adversary action in the federal district court to have it approved based on the significant financial circumstances in your bankruptcy.

Aside from these three options there are no other ways out I am afraid.
Law Educator, Esq. and 4 other Legal Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

question; if the other party sign a waiver of interest but wants to keep the principal how can it be done

Thank you for your new question.

The party agreeing to waive interest but not principle would write up a statement specifying that intent and sign it in the presence of a notary and two independent witnesses. You would attach this agreement to a motion to waive interest and penalties only and submit it to the court and the court will make sure this is being done willfully and will enter it as an order of the court.