How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask TexLaw Your Own Question
TexLaw, Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 4430
Experience:  Lead trial/International commercial attorney licensed 11 yrs
Type Your Legal Question Here...
TexLaw is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I received a summons today it says the following: "You have

This answer was rated:

I received a summons today it says the following: "You have been sued by the above-named plaintiff, and you are directed to file a written answer to the attached petition in the office of the court clerk of NOWATA County located at District Court of Nowata County 229 North Maple street, Nowata, OK 74048, within thirty-five (35) days after service of this summons upon you exclusive of the day of service. Within the same time, a copy of your Answer must be delivered or mailed to the attorney for plaintiff. Failure to respond, in writing, within thirty-five (35) days, will result in default judgment being entered against you." Also elsewhere it says this is a communication from a debt collector." I am 100% disabled my only source of income is Social Security disability and Veterans disability. I have own no property. I do own my pickup truck. What can I do about this?


When you are sued, you have to file an Answer with the Court. If you do not file an answer, a default judgment will be filed against you. You are basically what is considered "judgment proof". That means that even if a judgment is secured against you in court, you don't have any property that is subject to being seized.

What are you being sued for exactly?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

A old debt, that is for $2,349.05 plus court cost attorney fees.

Well, how much you want to do on this is up to you.

If you owe the debt anyway, then it might be a waste of your time to fight the lawsuit. If they get a judgment against you, then it's pretty much useless for them. It will hurt your credit, but other than that, it does not sound like you have anything they can take.

If you do not believe you owe the debt, then you should send in a written response to the court called a "General Denial". Then you would need to defend yourself in the court by showing up and explainiing why you don't owe the debt.

Let me know if you want information on how to file the general denial.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX I've got the answer I need.

Please let me know if you have any questions. Please also
kindly consider rating my answer positively so that I am compensated by the
website for my work on your question. Rating does not cause an additional
charge and does not prohibit you from further discussing your questions with

Best Regards,


TexLaw and other Legal Specialists are ready to help you