How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask TexLaw Your Own Question
TexLaw, Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 4430
Experience:  Lead trial/International commercial attorney licensed 11 yrs
Type Your Legal Question Here...
TexLaw is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Back in Oct. 2011 I entered a agreement with a friend to be

This answer was rated:

Back in Oct. 2011 I entered a agreement with a friend to be part owner in his company. Actually it was with his father. There was never any legal documents filed with the state and the only paper I signed was what was drawn up by the secretary of the company at that time. No stock was issued to me and no documents filed to state I was part owner. Well as it goes I have left because of his mishandling of the business and what I feel as untruthfulness to me. Now they claim since they have the paper saying that I am 25% owner that I owe them $30,000.00. This is in Gwinnett County Georgia. If can refer me someone here.
Thank you XXXXX


Just to make sure we are all on the same page, you need to understand that the JA attorneys do not actually act as your attorney and cannot directly represent you or directly refer you to a local attorney.

I can answer your questions regarding your situation and point you in the direction of the type of attorney you should hire. If that is what you are looking for here, let me know and I'll respond. If not, let me know and I'll send you over to customer service for a refund.


Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I understand that you do not act as my attorney. If you can help and point me in the right direction or if I should just leave it alone.

Thank you



The first thing we need to talk about is the "paper" that you signed.

Do you have a copy of this with you?

Also, do you know what kind of entity it is exactly (is it a C-Corp, an LLC, or a Limited Partnership)?

Finally, on what grounds are they saying that you owe them $30K?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Yes I have a copy and it is a LLC. He says this based on the paper that was signed and that I am responsible for the percentage of bills and tax liability


If you signed a document which made you a member of the LLC subject to an operating agreement that would require that all members are liable for portions of the LLC's debts personally, then you may have some problems.

I very much doubt that you can be held personally liable for this though, as your liability for LLCs are generally limited to the value of your membership. So, this sounds like a claim that you need to fight.

I would recommend contacting a local business attorney (or even one from Atlanta) to read through the documents that you signed. The kind of attorney you want is a "business law attorney". You can find these by simply googling "gwinnett county georgia business law attorneys" and this will pull up several law firms which should be able to help you.

If you have the documents with you, you can scan them in and attach them to your response here and I will look at them and tell you my thoughts on whether or not you are liable.

TexLaw and 6 other Legal Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Thank your for help. I will contact a local attorney